Smoking a cigar is a lot different from smoking a cigarette. Smoking a cigar is about savoring the flavor rather than inhaling the smoke, which is characteristic of cigarette smoking. Smoking a cigar is great way to celebrate occasions or simply to relax and unwind. The following steps can help you smoke a cigar like a real pro:
- Choose with care – Rather than settling upon the first cigar you see, do some research in advance so you can make an informed decision. First, you should know the different types of cigars. Choices may include the Corona, the Pyramid, the Torpedo, the Perfecto, the Panatela, and the Culebra. You may want to start with a very mild cigar, which you should thoroughly inspect for imperfections. If you are really serious about smoking cigars, consider purchasing a humidor to preserve the quality of your cigars.
- Cut the cigar – Before you smoke a cigar, you will need to cut into its cap. The cap is placed on the cigar’s head to prevent the cigar from drying out. You can use a single-bladed cutter or a sharp blade or knife. Do not use a dull knife or scissors as they will tear the cigar. Cut the cigar in one chop to preserve its original shape.
- Light the cigar – Choosing the right lighter for your cigar is important as it can influence the cigar’s flavor. A butane lighter or long wooden matches are preferable to paper matches, gas lighters, or lighted candles. Most cigar retailers also carry lighters. Do not light the cigar right away. First, you have to warm the foot of the cigar by holding it near the flame of your lighter. Then move the flame closer, but it shouldn’t actually touch the foot of the cigar. Inhale strongly enough to light the cigar. Do not inhale the smoke, though. To make sure that the light is evenly distributed, you can blow on the foot of the cigar.
- Smoke the cigar – Hold the cigar in your lips and draw in the smoke. Hold the smoke in your mouth to taste the flavor, and then let the smoke go. Remember that cigar smoke is not to be inhaled. It is only meant to be savored. Puff and rotate your cigar every 30 seconds to a minute. A good cigar can last for 2 to 3 hours. Many people believe that drinking alcohol while smoking the cigar enhances the flavor of the cigar smoke.
- Extinguish cigars – When you are done, set your cigar in an ashtray. It will extinguish by itself after a while.
Once you get the hang of smoking your first cigar, branch out and enjoy different sizes and flavors like a true cigar aficionado.